Friday, August 12, 2022


 I remembered my blog and looking back is so interesting.  This really is a good way to journal what's happening on the ranch and in our lives.  So believe it or not, some changes have occurred in the 8 years since my last post.  

My kids are all grown up: two are college graduates and one is going into his second year of college. Emma studied hard for the LSATs and got into UC Davis Law, but is deferring her enrollment while she decides what she really wants to do. She is a total rockstar on the ranch.  She runs every piece of equipment and is learning a lot about mechanicing.  Will is also a farming rockstar and is studying Computer Science at Southern Oregon University, where he got a 4.0 his first year.  Ben worked his way through college and graduated in June with a degree in Biology from Southern Oregon University.  He worked as a counselor at Kidder Creek Camp this summer and is headed to the Ukraine to do a rebuilding mission.  So it turns out being a slacker mom didn't hurt them too much :-).  


We have gone through some changes on the ranch.  We started growing seed crops for a company out of Central Oregon.  We started with carrot seed and are now growing blue grass.  Jim is always willing to try something new, even in his 60's.  I wish he would take a break now and then, but I am very proud of what a hard worker he is.  


During the Pandemic we hosted two proms in our barn, let some high school kids build a mountain bike track on our property, made a lot of progress completing the big shop and converted the old shop into a woodshop.  By we I mean Jim and the kids.  I am now teaching English full time at the high school, so I don't do much on the ranch.  Okay, I never really did but now I have a decent excuse.  




The shop has been a life changing, amazing addition to the ranch.  There is an office with AC and enough room to hold several pieces of equipment at once.  Jim and Mark Peaty did 90% of the work themselves, converting an old barn into a beautiful, usable space.  It has been a long process over several years, without much money spent. That has been such  a good lesson for me to see the value of having a vision, plugging away, using your resources, etc.   

Sadly, my Dad passed away in 2019, one month after being honored as Siskiyou County Cattleman of the year.  Jim made his casket with pine boards milled off the ranch and sealed it with his brand.



In other very sad news, my brother passed away this summer at the age of 59. We had a very nice memorial honoring him in the city park.  

Despite the hard times and sadness, we feel incredibly blessed to live in a beautiful place surrounded by wonderful people.  I didn't think I wanted this life, but it turns out it was the best one I could have.  God really does know best.

No comments:

Post a Comment